G&T Orange Polenta Cake 🧡
This cake is definitely a bit of me, especially served with lots of lemon ice cream! It takes me right back to being in sunny Italy! The recipe works especially well with Palmers London Dry Gin and Double Dutch Spices & Oakwood … 😋
G&T Orange polenta cake
*This recipe can easily be made gluten free by using GF flour!*
250g unsalted butter
250g golden caster sugar
4 large free range eggs
150g polenta (I used fine)
200g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
Zest and 100ml juice of 2 medium sized oranges (keep 50ml juice for the syrup)
50ml Tonic (we recommend Double Dutch Spices & Oakwood Limited Edition)
For the G&T Orange Syrup
- Heat oven to 160C. Line the base of a round 23cm cake tin with baking paper.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, alternating with a tbsp of flour. Once the mixture is combined, add the rest of the dry ingredients. Then the orange zest, 50ml juice and 50ml tonic water. Mix until the batter looks smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the tin, spread the top with the back of a spoon until even. Cook for about 45 mins or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- To make the syrup – add the juice, 50ml tonic and sugar in a saucepan over a medium heat.
- Add 25ml of your gin at first and simmer for 5 mins.
- When it looks syrupy, take off the heat and stir in the rest of the gin (by all means add more to your liking!).
- Poke some holes in the cake with a skewer or cocktail stick. Drizzle the orange G&T syrup over the top of the warm cake. Leave it to cool a bit in the tin before taking it out and slicing.
- Lovely on it’s own or with some ice cream!
Check out my video recipe below!
Want to give the Palmers Gin & Double Dutch a try? They are in June’s box!
Then why not join the ILoveGin club where we send you a new box like the ones below for just £14/m inc free delivery, you’ll get 2 new gins and 2 tonic/mixers each month to try, enough to make 4 G&Ts plus discounts on full size bottles.
Limited Time Offer: Get your first box for just £9 including delivery, that’s £9 for 4 x G&Ts, use code: GINBLOG5OFF at checkout at ILoveGin.com/join