The best GINger Cake!
A deliciously sticky ginger cake (GINger) had to be done with one of this month’s gins, Opihr! With ginger being one of the spicy botanicals featured in this wonderful gin, it works perfectly in this recipe. Topped with a yummy ginny, orange icing …. it won’t last long in your house!
GINger Cake Recipe
- 250g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 heaped tsp ground ginger
- 1 heaped tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 heaped tsp ground mixed spice
- 120g unsalted butter
- 115g dark muscovado sugar
- 115g black treacle
- 115g golden syrup
- 250ml whole milk
- 90g stem ginger (drained and grated)
- 1 free range egg (whisked)
- 25-50ml Gin (We recommend Opihr)
For the Icing
- 100g Icing Sugar
- 25ml Gin (we recommend Opihr)
- A couple of squeezes of fresh orange juice
- Half a large orange grated zest
- Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4/fan 160C. Grease and line a 18cm-22cm round cake tin with greaseproof paper.
- Add the flour, bicarb and all the spices into a large bowl. Rub the butter into the flour mix with your fingertips until it looks like breadcrumbs.
- Put the sugar, treacle, syrup and milk in a saucepan on a gentle heat. Stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the grated stem ginger to the dry ingredients, then slowly pour in the treacle mixture. Stir and then add the whisked egg. Beat until all the mixture is combined and smooth.
- Finally, stir in your GIN (25-50ml, the choice is yours)!
- Pour this into prepared tin and bake for 50 minutes, or until a knife pushed into the cake comes out clean.
- To make the icing, mix together icing sugar and 25ml gin, then gradually add squeezes of orange until you get a pourable icing (if you fancy adding more gin, just leave out the orange juice!). Add zest of half an orange.
- Drizzle all over the cake (which is now out of your tin).
To see how easy it really is, check out the video below !
Would you like to try Opihr Gin?
It’s in this months box!
You can join the ILoveGin club where we send you a new box like the ones below for just £14/m inc free delivery, you’ll get 2 new craft gins and 2 tonic/mixers each month to try, enough to make 4 G&Ts plus discounts on full size bottles.
Limited Time Offer: Get your first box for just £9 including delivery, that’s £9 for 4 x G&Ts, use code: GINBLOG5OFF at checkout at ILoveGin.com/join